The next time disaster strikes, you may not have much time to act. Prepare now for a sudden emergency. Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead. This checklist will help you get started:
- Ask your workplace about emergency plans.
- Consider emergency preparedness for elderly or disabled persons.
- Create a Family Emergency Preparedness Plan.
- Find out which disasters could occur in your area.
- Learn about emergency plans for your children’s school or day care center.
- Prepare for each potential disaster.
- Take a basic first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) class.
Discuss these ideas with your family, then prepare an emergency plan. Post the plan where everyone will see it - on the refrigerator or a bulletin board.