Veterans Relief Fund
Asotin County is home to about 3,000 veterans. The region has one of the highest populations of veterans due in part to the mild climate and fishing and hunting opportunities. Assisting the spouses of deceased veterans and their children in times of need is possible because of the good stewardship of the veterans relief fund over the past four years.
-Chuck Whitman, Board of Commissioners
The Asotin County Veterans Relief Fund (VRF) is to provide for the relief of indigent veterans, their families, and the families of deceased indigent veterans as defined in Washington State RCW 73.08.005. The VRF is funded by the taxpayers of Asotin County to aid in timely emergency or crisis relief for eligible veterans and/or eligible family members and not to replace assistance from any other agency.
Assistance is granted on a case-by-case basis and is not guaranteed. There is no entitlement for assistance and the provision of assistance is subject to availability of funds. The Asotin County VRF is not intended to provide continuing assistance on a routine basis.
What the Program Helps With
- Deposit: (Residence or Utilities) one time only - Paid to the provider.
- Education: Tuition Assistance, books and equipment - Paid to the provider.
- Medical / Dental / Optometry: Once per year 12-month period - two times total - Paid to the provider.
- Rent or Mortgage: Once per year, no more than 2 consecutive times total - Paid to the provider.
- Transportation reimbursement for travel to VA or other Medical Facilities and local bus tokens.
- Utilities including power, water, garbage, and propane with proof of shut off - Paid to the provider